Spring care lays the foundation for the future harvest. Regardless of the time of planting, strawberries need special attention in the spring after the winter awakening. The obligatory measures and the intricacies of processing, as well as advice from experienced gardeners, will be discussed in this article.
Many people believe that strawberries are quite unpretentious and bear fruit under any conditions. This opinion is based on the fact that in the wild, strawberries survive without care and feeding. However, home beds are not the natural habitat of the culture, and many varieties are hybrids, requiring certain growing conditions.
Some species are very capricious, the yield decreases even with proper processing. And for the plant to bear fruit abundantly and for a long time, you need to make a lot of effort.
The most important are the following events:
Before planting, you should familiarize yourself with the features of the selected varieties. Each high-yield crop needs certain conditions, so it is better to plant strawberries of different types in separate beds. This will make it easier to leave.
You need to start work on the beds, as soon as the snow melted and the earth dried up, no later than early May. For plants, this is not only an important, but also a vulnerable period, which is characterized by unstable weather, temperature fluctuations, frost on the ground. Support is needed to create favorable conditions during the formation of flowering buds, which ripen into berries.
In order to speed up the melting of late snow, gardeners sprinkle the strawberry plantation with ash or salt (in moderation).
Preparing the garden beds for the new season includes the following steps:
It is not worth leaving the autumn mulch for the next season, since a complex of phytopathogens and pests often develops on garden soils rich in organic matter.
Clean beds should be inspected for finding a growth point... After a long hibernation and snow melting, the root system of some plants is exposed. If you find open tubers, you need to carefully sprinkle them using a lightweight mixture of soil, sand and peat and carry out proper grooming.
After inspecting the garden bed, you need to determine which plants can move away from slight freezing, and which should be removed. If the bush had time to freeze or freeze, noticeably weakened or has most of the branches of a burgundy color, it better to delete... There will be little sense anyway.
Springtime is characterized by the activation of vegetative growth, so planting a new seedling in the garden in order to revive the harvest will not be difficult. Moreover, the percentage of survival with such a landing in the country in the summer is quite high.
Stages of work:
After winter, the beds must be weeded and hilled. It is necessary to wield the glanders carefully so as not to damage the roots.
Strawberries do not like when they are unduly disturbed, so you need to take care and weed carefully, large weeds are better pluck or cut off near the surface of the ground pruning shears. This will limit the invasion of the root system of the culture.
The berry is especially sensitive to processing during the flowering period, therefore, all work on cleaning and processing the plant should be completed before this stage, do them, peel the strawberries step by step according to the instructions. Otherwise, the inflorescences that appear on the damaged bush may fade.
When performing weeding, it is recommended cut off the first mustacheso that they do not pull on nutrients during flowering. In addition, the second ejection is characterized by a more powerful structure, which contributes to the rapid establishment of new shoots.
For feeding strawberries, different types of fertilizers are used: organic, mineral, complex. Organic matter is considered the most affordable; it will not be difficult to get your own compost pit or container. When making a nutrient solution, you should adhere to the recommended proportions, especially with bird droppings. Overdosing can burn out plants.
To stimulate the growth of seedlings, it is necessary to treat with nitrogen-containing fertilizers. Phosphoric ones are best introduced in the middle of summer, they will help the strawberries grow stronger and prepare for wintering. Complementary feeding after winter is necessary for the active development of shoots, the formation of buds, in the place of which fruits are formed.
Strawberries need to be fed at the recommended rates. An excess of nutrients provokes the growth of tops, while the number of berries decreases.
Most often they use urea, Bordeaux liquid, iodine, they need to be watered with blooming Victoria. Water or spray the plant according to the instructions.
In the spring, not only plants wake up, but also insects, microorganisms that are in the upper layers of the soil. Young seedlings, as well as mature bushes, need protection from diseases and pests. This can be ensured by processing with special preparations.
Modern means do an excellent job of preventing and treating various diseases, without oppressing the development of the culture itself... Fungus poses the greatest danger to strawberries, so controlling soil moisture will be the best prevention.
The best treatment is timely prevention.
This principle is guided by gardeners when growing and protecting strawberries. Popular helpers in proper spraying are the following:
The remedy deserves special attention "Strawberry rescuer", which has a wide spectrum of action. if they spray the plant:
The main advantage of the drug is absolute safety for crops when fighting.
Among gardeners, there are many folk recipes that are sometimes not inferior in efficiency to store ones. One of the options is to connect copper sulfate and lime... This mixture copes well with fungus and pests. Fungal diseases and potassium permanganate wins well.
In addition to the general rules for caring for strawberries, there are different nuances and secrets, the authors of which are experienced gardeners. Their advice helps to increase yields, saturate the berry with juiciness and unique taste.
To make spring work easier to carry out without missing important points, it is recommended to draw up a plan of measures for processing the culture. The plant will surely reward the effort and time spent with a generous harvest.
The protracted spring still makes itself felt. All crops are late in their development compared to other vegetable and berry crops, including strawberries. Now, despite the cold rainy weather, the bushes are blooming with might and main. And now, in order to get a good harvest of berries, it is necessary to provide good care for the strawberries.
Many gardeners read that during flowering this culture does not require any special care and does not need any additional fertilizing at all. But this opinion is completely wrong. Flowering is the most important period for a future harvest. Just at this time, the plant needs care and especially feeding.
And what exactly needs to be done with strawberries in the summer, what is the care of it during its flowering, and then during the fruiting period, this will be discussed today.
How does strawberry care begin in the spring in the country? I start by cleaning and preparing the beds. In general, strawberries are different - there are varieties that yield only once a season, there are remontant varieties that allow you to harvest two or three times a year. In my garden, strawberries of both types are ordinary, very tasty, and there are quite a lot of remontant ones, and my mother makes jams and preserves from it. Regardless of which variety you are growing, strawberries should be prepared for the new season.
First of all, you need to open the beds. Repaired varieties overwinter with a fully and fully formed bud, so she is not afraid of any cold. But with ordinary bushes, I will have to try to preserve them - a dense film, mulch and earth help me.
Naturally, the beds will need to be cleaned. In addition to various garbage, you also need to clean up:
Unfortunately, not all plants can survive the winter - dead strawberries need to be removed, and new seedlings should be planted instead of dead bushes. This should be done as early as possible, because the plants should take root before warm weather.
Then you should pay attention to the ground - slightly loosened, but beware of damaging the root system. Naturally, you will also need to refresh the mulch. By the way, you need to mulch not only for warmth and against weeds - at the very beginning of spring, mulch saves you from various pests.
After winter frosts, old peduncles and dry leaves are cut off on strawberries. It is also necessary to remove last year's mulch, in which the pests spend the winter. Old mulch often causes the spread of fungal plant diseases.
Loosening of the soil is carried out between the bushes, which makes it possible to improve its air and moisture permeability. As a result, the penetration of moisture into the soil improves, and useful substances are absorbed faster by plants.
If the roots of the strawberry have come to the surface, then you need to cover them with a layer of soil. Early spring strawberry care includes mulching the beds with straw, sawdust, or hay. Such processing will accelerate the ripening of berries and allow maintaining a certain level of soil moisture.
Excessive thickening leads to the spread of diseases, negatively affects the development of strawberries and their yield. Additionally, rosettes and root leaves of plants are cut off. Work is carried out with sharp scissors or pruning shears.
What to do with strawberries in spring is described in the video:
There are several types of strawberries, so each of them must be looked after properly. Found everywhere - this is garden, but there is also a greenhouse, remontant (which gives several harvests in one year), shpansky, strawberries. The principle of spring care differs significantly only in the greenhouse - it is grown in special cassette pots by weight (on racks). And the main differences in terms of care concern only the frequency of watering and feeding. For example, for a remontant, re-introduction of humus in the summer and subsequent mulching must be performed. For strawberries, potash and nitrate fertilizers are contraindicated.
In total, caring for strawberries in spring means only preparing the soil and beds, cleaning tubers from weeds and dry leaves, as well as the subsequent introduction of top dressing, and prevention of diseases. This complex is carried out for 1.5 - 2 weeks, in the future you will only need periodic watering at the root (1 time in 4 - 6 days) until the first inflorescences appear.
Strawberry care in spring, advice from experienced gardeners
Each of us loves to enjoy fresh berries, especially strawberries. Almost everyone in the garden has strawberries. This type of plant is very demanding. So that the harvest is good, and the plant lasts a long time, you need to know a few rules about caring for strawberries.
1. Planting the plant is best in the second half of summer (early August). The ground should be moist, so the plant will take root better. The location of the site should be sunny and sheltered from the wind.
2. After the end of winter time, it is necessary to slightly fertilize the soil, because strawberries take all the necessary substances from the soil. You should choose complex fertilizers.
3. You also need to loosen the soil to get the plant the required amount of oxygen. This can be done with any garden tool.
4. The plant needs special watering, you need to use a spray. Watering should be moderate, until small puddles appear. This action should be carried out no more than 3 times a week. To get large berries, you need to increase the dose of water over time (but not more than 10 liters per 1 square meter).
5. During flowering, it is necessary to feed the plant with fertilizer again. Also, the bed should be weed-free, otherwise the future harvest will be small. Other pests can be controlled in early spring by treating the plant with a suitable preparation.
6. With the appearance of the first berries, care should be regular. After collecting the first berries, fertilize. But in no case should you fertilize when there are unripe berries, otherwise they will absorb all the substances.
7. To increase the volume of strawberries in the garden, you can use several methods of propagation. This can be done by dividing the bush, digging it up and separating it from the root system, so that each horn has a root and leaves. The same way of circumcision. Young antennae, which have several leaves and have already taken root, cut and plant in a new, previously watered, place.
8. Cut strawberries for cleansing not at the root, but so that bushes and cuttings up to 10 cm remain.Only leaf plates and antennae are cut off.
9. During cold weather and winter, the soil with strawberries is sprinkled with straw, dry leaves or covered with foil so that the plants do not die. In the spring, remove the film, and clean the area from the straw with a garden tool.
How to grow strawberries without the use of chemicals, tips from gardeners
Strawberries are one of the most delicious berries. Many gardeners are trying to plant it on their site. But not everyone succeeds in harvesting a good harvest. Some people think that for high yields it is necessary to use chemicals in the process of growing berries. But this is far from the case.
Growing a berry without the use of chemicals is not so difficult. In this case, you can achieve a good harvest. Ripe strawberries grown without chemicals are very healthy and tasty. Some gardeners are confident that in order to preserve strawberry bushes, as well as to obtain a harvest, the berries should be transplanted every three or five years to different parts of their garden, believing that thereby strawberry bushes are not infected with various diseases and pests. But there are cases when the berry grew in a permanent place for more than ten years and brought excellent fruits.
How to grow strawberries without resorting to chemical treatments becomes easy if only minor conditions are met:
1. When using compost. It contains useful substances that increase land fertility. This means that the use of chemicals is not required. Compost is applied in the spring. Compost is laid out on the strawberry ridges, but not more than two centimeters in thickness.
2. When mulching ridges. It has long been known that straw mulch has an excellent effect when growing berries.
- no need to weed the beds in order to destroy weeds
- the moisture of the earth is preserved, which allows for infrequent watering of the berries
- strawberries are always clean
- no loosening of the soil is required, as the mulch prevents the soil from being nailed down after rains
- mulch is an excellent guard against various slugs.
When laying out mulch from freshly cut grass, it should be remembered that it should not be laid too densely and in a thick layer on the beds. Mulch is laid out after flowering strawberries. For mulching, you can use straw, sawdust, pine needles.
3. When using green manure. It can be oil radish, mustard, buckwheat. Siderat is sown several times per season. The last sowing is carried out in late August - early September. After the green manure grows up, they are mown. What is beveled can be used as mulch.
- Green manure has an improved effect on soil structure and also has an increased effect on yield.
- They are a barrier to weeds.
- Siderata are excellent phytosanitary. They cleanse the soil from pests and diseases.
They are used before planting strawberries. If you do the opposite, then it will be inconvenient to cut green manure.
How to get rid of pests from strawberries
When using organic as well as biological products. These drugs are a source of increased immunity of strawberries, and also do not violate the damage to microorganisms living in the soil. In the spring, water between the rows of strawberries with a solution of chicken manure, which is prepared at a rate of one to ten. In the presence of a large number of pests, an ophite act should be applied.
When planted nearby with plants that help strawberries from infestation and damage by pests. Garlic, as well as onions, act as helpers against pests and diseases. To protect strawberry bushes from the wind, you can plant corn or kosmeya from the windy side. This will not only protect the strawberries from the wind, but will also serve as a source of shade during the hot season.
There are several advantages to growing berries without chemicals:
- the purity of the fruit that can be eaten unwashed
- no harm to soil and plants
- strawberries are not affected by diseases and pests.
How to rid strawberries from disease
Strawberries are a very healthy berry, this is a doctor in your home. Strawberries are loaded with antioxidants that prevent the destructive effect of active oxygen on human cells. It also contains vitamin C, which helps to protect against inflammatory processes in the human body. Very often, various insects and parasites interfere with a good strawberry harvest, so we will consider ways to combat harmful factors affecting this plant.
The fight against diseases and parasites of strawberries will consist of three parts:
1. Treatment of the bush with a solution of potassium permanganate. The solution consists of water (temperature 60 degrees) and potassium permanganate, which can be purchased at garden stores. The ratio of water to powder: 10 grams of potassium permanganate per 100 liters of water. After the solution is ready, inject 0.5 liters into the center of each strawberry bush.
2. Getting rid of strawberry leaf spot. The best remedy for this problem is foundazol. To it you need to add thiovit jet - this is an effective remedy for spider mites and plant diseases based on sulfur. The two must be mixed together. We take 5 liters of water and add 1/2 package of foundationol (5 grams) and 1 package of thiovit jet (15 grams). If you were unable to purchase thiovit jet, you can replace it with any sulfur-containing agent. With the resulting solution, using a water spray bottle, carefully spray each strawberry bush.
3. Sprinkle ash on the strawberries. Ash is an excellent fertilizer, which, in contrast to organic matter and fats, contains potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, sulfur, calcium and other trace elements. Each bush must be carefully covered with ash separately. This is the final step in the strawberry treatment that should consolidate the results.
After the strawberry care in spring, the advice of seasoned gardeners, the bushes will be green, healthy and bring a big harvest. Strawberry treatments are usually done in early summer. During the summer period, it must be watered, loosened, looked after, and by the fall it is imperative to carry out the feeding procedure. Also in the fall, it is necessary to remove the yellowed leaves of the strawberry bushes and prepare them for winter.
The plant is whimsical to weather conditions, soil composition, is exposed to the invasion of various pests and infectious diseases. Let's consider the main problems that can arise on the way to a large harvest:
If you carry out the fight against all pests in advance, then the strawberries will grow and develop very quickly and will certainly delight you with a good harvest. And remember, in the confrontation with pests, the one who organizes drip irrigation wins the strawberries, since excess moisture is the first reason for the reproduction of most pests and bacteria.